Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Idea Napkin No. 2

Part One

1) I'm a person who likes to help others and make their lives easier.  I'm currently an office assistant for a company and continuously help around the office and understand that efficient work makes other people's jobs better. On a larger scale I can help out my city by putting up a parking garage to help ease the volume of traffic. If I were to start this project I would consider it my full-time job after graduation.

Additionally, If I were to pick up this business right now I would consider getting into the real estate field.  Since I'll be purchasing land to construct a large garage I would have to be able to understand the market for properties in my area.  My father is currently a real estate agent so his background may help me learn the business quickly.

2) With this product I am taking the headache out of beach traffic and parking on Anna Maria Island. Island visitors frequently run into the issue of limited parking which in return backs up traffic onto mainland, annoying people living there. This garage helps the source of the problem and takes care of the related issues.

This hasn't changed from the first napkin idea. I'm still offering customers a better solution to parking and bumper to bumper traffic. 

3) There are three different groups of customers I'm helping. One, island visitors who come to Anna Maria Island for the beaches. Two, island locals who become frustrated when visitors park illegally and cause problems. Three, mainland inhabitants who suffer from backed up traffic.

Again, this hasn't changed from the previous assignment. I haven't identified a new group of customers with an unmet need that my idea will solve. Perhaps later on I will discover an additional target market.

4) By paying money to park at a garage, visitors don't have to fight for parking on the island and worry about fees if they are forced to park illegally somewhere else.  Additionally, the garage can serve as a one stop destination to gear up for the beach.

Since the summer season has officially started and most schools in the county have let out for the break, the traffic situation has become very apparent within the last week. I'd like to emphasize that my idea helps diminish the number of cars waiting in line to get out to the island. 

5) It's easy to be set apart when I can be the only source of mass parking for AMI.  The garage would be the only area where people can park, buy beach accessories, and get a trolley ride to the island all in one.

After completing the 'Secret Sauce' assignment last week, I learned that my organizational skills seem to make me stand out according to those around me. Perhaps this skill will make planning a project of this stature easier and run more smoothly.

I think these five parts do fit together well. I've labeled the target market with an unmet need. I've devised an idea that solves this problem. And finally, I seem to have the skills necessary to carry out this project. Maybe obtaining a license in real estate would help and learning more about business in the construction industry could benefit me in the future. 

Part Two
I didn't receive that much feedback from my first attempt at this assignment. The only question that arose from the comments were uncertainty about where I could build a garage this large.  So that's why I added learning more about real estate and the construction business in my second attempt. I believe that learning more about Bradenton's property market and construction companies I could understand more about turning my napkin idea into more of a reality. 


3 comments:

  1. Robert,
    What about offering a resident sticker for those that live there? It would give them priority/designation for actually parking on the island. Beyond that I think an understanding of the real estate in the area is a key to knowing the where. You may need to look into local restrictions/ordinances.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Robert, I think you did a great job on your second idea napkin. I saw your first napkin idea and I am glad you didn’t change anything. You had a good idea and you stuck with it. The comments on your original idea napkin showed that you had a good idea and there wasn’t much to change. Your idea napkins show that you do have organization and that it one of your strong suites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robert,

    I think Paxton has an interesting idea with offering a resident sticker for those who live in the town or county. They could pay a low monthly fee and and use the garage as much as they want. So it would be even better for the residents and you would still be making money off of them. Good job on the assignment and you were very thorough.

    ReplyDelete