Saturday, May 21, 2016

Forming an Opportunity Belief

1) My belief is that there is not enough public parking on Anna Maria Island.

2) The need for public parking on AMI has grown in the past few years as the population continues to increase in the Bradenton area. Anyone who visits the island to go out to the beach can experience this problem. The problem has always existed, but it can especially be seen during heavy tourist periods. In order to avoid the problem now beach goers are parking illegally in residential areas in addition to parking in local business lots.  There is a public beach parking lot but it is not anywhere near big enough to accommodate all of the people trying to go to the beach.

3) The prototypical customer is someone who lives off the island and is going to the beach.  They aren't able to get a public parking lot space which results with them parking illegally.

     After interviewing my mom, a person who frequently goes out to the beach, I was able to gain some prototypical customer insights. She believes that there needs to be more public parking all along the island for beach goers to use. She experiences this problem mostly between October and April and any major holiday.  She says the only way to deal with this problem is to get up very early and beat everyone out to the island in order to get a public parking spot.  On a scale of one to ten she said this solution ranked at a four or five.

After interviewing my mom I learned that this problem leads to other issues.  People don't want to get up early on their weekend to go to the beach.  I didn't consider the few major holidays that take place during her described months and much of a nightmare they could be.

My father presented a few different takes on the problem I identified.  He works on Longboat Key, an island south of AMI, and said the main issue for him is the traffic that accumulates and builds up as a result of people taking to long to find parking spaces.  He said he noticed this problem really taking place in the past three years.  To address it now he either gets up extremely early or just won't go on the island at all. He said on a scale of one to ten that this solution ranked as a two.

This interview, like the one with my mother, made me realize again how one issue can lead to another so easily.  As a result of limited parking the traffic backs up on the mainland and that can cause more problems.  I learned that really this is just one large chain reaction.

Lastly I interviewed my girlfriend who vacations on the island with her family.  I decided that understanding the perspective of someone who lives there, even if only for a week, would be important.  She said the parking situation becomes annoying when people park at shopping centers and take up spots that should be used for customers.

Since I live on the mainland, I wouldn't have seen this issue take place.  Once again I learned how just one problem leads to all these other issues.

After conducting these interviews I learned more about other problems than the one I originally came up with.  My problem was really just the main root of all these other issues.  My dad and I discussed many solutions to the problem, trying not to stray to far from my original idea.  I think it is okay to change your belief a little bit, but not so much that you're leaving the main problem unsolved.

8 comments:

  1. Robert,

    I can relate to the parking issues you discussed about Anna Maria Island. I live in South Florida and parking here is horrible. I was raised in Miami and now live in Fort Lauderdale. Both areas are heavy congested and parking is a nightmare. Parking here is mainly an issue out east by the beach and downtown, not only because we are a heavy tourist area, but we are also heavily populated over here. I have always lived out west for that reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My post on "Forming An Opportunity Belief"

      http://ent3003blogger.blogspot.com/2016/05/forming-opportunity-belief.html

      Delete
  2. Robert,
    I think that it's great that you were able to get some insight on how one problem actually causes a chain reaction of other problems. What you initially thought was just a parking problem also turned out to be a traffic problem as well. The beach goers aren't the only ones affected by the parking problem, the travelers and residence are too. I think that's how you know there is a serious problem, when it turns into more problems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robert,
    Although I can't personally identify with parking on AMI, I am sure it's pretty bad. I am interested in how you will solve this problem. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Robert,
    I can actually relate very well with your problem you presented because I live in Bradenton as well. When my family has outings to the beach, we always make sure to arrive early. We do not want to deal with the hordes of people attempting to find parking. If we leave too late, we sometimes forgo the idea of going to the beach altogether. We would rather stay at home than deal with parking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://jrscottratt.blogspot.com/2016/05/forming-opportunity-belief.html

      Delete
  5. Hey Robert! I loved reading your post, it was very thorough. I am from Pensacola Beach and I have a feeling a lot of the locals would sympathize with your frustrations with lack of parking. I liked how you saw the initial problems but also recognized that there was a root problem that stemmed the other frustrations. I also think the three different types of people you interviewed offered a lot of information, especially having something that is just a tourist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://mysummerentblog.blogspot.com/2016/05/forming-opportunity-belief.html

      Delete