Friday, May 13, 2016

My Entrepreneurship Story

     I would like to share the entrepreneurial story of my current boss.  C.J. Howard and his son, Chuck Howard, started a professional employee services company after they saw an opportunity to help small and large businesses.  They founded the company Howard Leasing which takes care of their clients by managing employee payroll and workers' comp.  C.J. understood the complications with payroll and other employee services after working in the industry and took the opportunity to create a business that helped solve a problem.

     I originally had signed up for this class simply to fulfill a requirement for my outside concentration within the business school.  After switching around classes I ultimately chose this course because I believe the minds of those who work in advertising are very similar to the minds of those who are entrepreneurs.  As an advertiser it is my goal to make consumers and people think and feel a certain way about a product or service. I believe this class can help me think more clearly about how I can take my current skills and apply them in a new way, forcing me to see other opportunities in the advertising world.

     Not exactly sure what kind of photo I'm supposed to include, but here is a picture of the Howard Leasing office where I will spend every day of summer.



3 comments:

  1. I really like the story of this company that you very clearly admire and care about. It is stories like these that have made me so interested in entrepreneurship because normal people have amazing ideas and watching them come to fruition is a sight to behold. I also really like the reason that you are choosing to take the class as a way to better understand people and their interests for your future career in advertising.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robert,

    You are the second person I met in on the same day that is working or majoring in advertisement! I suppose it is a popular field. Having a boss who is an entrepreneur is always an advantage, you can learn by example, and if you have a good relationship, perhaps pick his brain, get some ideas of your own. Maybe it will be the next great thing in the same field and you can branch out on your own, or maybe it will be an idea that your boss can benefit and you will get a promotion with a nice bonus as a result. I was not lucky enough to have an entrepreneur as a direct boss, but the last 3 small companies I worked for were all started by people who saw the opportunity. I was lucky enough to have a good working relationship with all 3 CEOs of these companies. Perhaps if I think back, and go through my experience I will find something that will give me my “ah-ha” moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Robert,

    I am your TA for this class, Rachel. I enjoyed reading your entrepreneurship story. It's pretty awesome that you are able to work so closely with someone who is a successful entrepreneur. I would like to hear more about the experience working with them, and how that shapes your opinion of entrepreneurship. I hope you enjoy this class! As for pictures, you can post anything you want! I normally posted pictures that had to do with the blog post.

    ReplyDelete